Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

Sweet Sixteen picks

We're down to our last sixteen. One of my co-workers picked the Final Four using the old which mascot could beat which mascot test. If her predictions turn out to be correct, a week from Saturday your National Semifinals will feature Florida battling George Mason and Duke playing Bradley. Bring your own bellbottoms and platforms to the Hoosier Dome, folks.

I'm going to do things a little more scientifically...let's see if we can't get these 16 down to eight.

Thursday - Atlanta
Duke over LSU I've seen the Tigers way too much than I'd like to admit this year, and I can't say I'm terribly impressed. They were extremely lucky to beat a dreadful A&M side Saturday afternoon. A lot of people think they have a chance thanks to Glenn Davis, and if he had any post moves, I'd agree with them. However, he's best at shooting them from 5 feet out and the Blue Devils can defend that.


West Virginia over Texas
I picked this a week ago and I'm sticking to it. The Mountaineers have a lot of firepower and are a better team than the one that lost to the Longhorns early in the season in Kansas City. They'll have a lot of fan support too.

Thursday - Oakland
Memphis over Bradley The run ends for the Braves...the Tigers will have too much for them, just as they did against Oral Roberts and Bucknell.

UCLA over Gonzaga This is another pick I made a week ago that I'm sticking with. If Adam Morrison is sick, I'm feeling pretty confident in this pick.

Friday - Minneapolis
Villanova over Boston College. BC is the media's darlings while Villanova is the team that refuses to lose. I'll go with the team that won't lose. Allen Ray wasn't affected at all by that eye injury in the first two rounds, and with him at 100 percent, the Wildcats have too many weapons.

Florida over Georgetown If Ohio State was still playing, I'd change my pick to the homer one. The Gators have been one of the most impressive teams in the tournament. They've led all the way in both games, against two teams that previous Billy Donovan-coached squads would've folded against. As long as they play with passion and intent, UF will keep winning.

Friday - Washington
George Mason over Wichita State For the right to lose to UConn Sunday, the Patriots will take advantage of their virtual home court and beat the Shockers for the second time in a little more than a month. If this game is as good as the first one was, I'll be more than glad to get it going on my laptop.

UConn over Washington Washington is playing up to its potential at the right time, but it won't be enough. (Unless UConn just picks this moment to lose its collective mind, which is a definite possibility.)

Enjoy the games...Elite Eight picks Saturday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?